Free SC-100 v9 091707.ofm - California

File Size: 76.8 kB
Pages: 5
Date: June 24, 2009
File Format: PDF
State: California
Category: Court Forms - State
Author: CKieliger
Word Count: 3,238 Words, 17,871 Characters
Page Size: Letter (8 1/2" x 11")

Download SC-100 v9 091707.ofm ( 76.8 kB)

Preview SC-100 v9 091707.ofm

Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court

Clerk stamps date here when form is filed.

Notice to the person being sued:
· You are the Defendant if your name is listed in 2 on page 2 of this form. The person suing you is the Plaintiff, listed in 1 on page 2. · You and the Plaintiff must go to court on the trial date listed below. If you

do not go to court, you may lose the case. · If you lose, the court can order that your wages, money, or property be taken to pay this claim.
· Bring witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to prove your case. · Read this form and all pages attached to understand the claim against
Fill in court name and street address:

Superior Court of California, County of

you and to protect your rights.

Aviso al Demandado:
· Usted es el Demandado si su nombre figura en 2 de la página 2

de este formulario. La persona que lo demanda es el Demandante, la que figura en 1 de la página 2.
· Usted y el Demandante tienen que presentarse en la corte en la fecha del

Clerk fills in case number and case name:

Case Number: Case Name:

juicio indicada a continuación. Si no se presenta, puede perder el caso.
· Si pierde el caso la corte podría ordenar que le quiten de su sueldo, dinero u

otros bienes para pagar este reclamo.
· Lleve testigos, recibos y cualquier otra prueba que necesite para probar su caso. · Lea este formulario y todas las páginas adjuntas para entender la demanda en su contra y para proteger sus derechos.

Order to Go to Court The people in 1 and 2 must go to court: (Clerk fills out section below.)
Trial Date Date 1. 2. 3. Date: Clerk, by , Deputy Time Department Name and address of court if different from above

Instructions for the person suing:
· You are the Plaintiff. The person you are suing is the Defendant. · Before you fill out this form, read Form SC-150, Information for the Plaintiff (Small Claims), to know your rights.

Get SC-150 at any courthouse or county law library, or go to:
· Fill out pages 2 and 3 of this form. Then make copies of all pages of this form. (Make 1 copy for each party named in

this case and an extra copy for yourself.) Take or mail the original and these copies to the court clerk's office and pay the filing fee. The clerk will write the date of your trial in the box above.
· You must have someone at least 18--not you or anyone else listed in this case--give each Defendant a court-stamped

copy of all 5 pages of this form and any pages this form tells you to attach. There are special rules for "serving," or delivering, this form to public entities, associations, and some businesses. See Forms SC-104, SC-104B, and SC-104C. Go to court on your trial date listed above. Bring witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to prove your case. ·
Judicial Council of California, Revised January 1, 2008, Mandatory Form Code of Civil Procedure, §§ 116.110 et seq., 116.220(c), 116.340(g)

Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)

SC-100, Page 1 of 5
American LegalNet, Inc.

Case Number:

Plaintiff (list names):

The Plaintiff (the person, business, or public entity that is suing) is:
Name: Street address:
Street City Street City State State Zip Zip

Phone: (


Mailing address (if different):

If more than one Plaintiff, list next Plaintiff here:
Name: Street address:
Street Street City City

Phone: (
State State

Zip Zip

Mailing address (if different): Check here if more than 2 Plaintiffs and attach Form SC-100A. Check here if either Plaintiff listed above is doing business under a fictitious name. If so, attach Form SC-103.

The Defendant (the person, business, or public entity being sued) is:
Name: Street address:
Street Street City City

Phone: (
State State

Zip Zip

Mailing address (if different):

If more than one Defendant, list next Defendant here:
Name: Street address:
Street City Street City State State Zip Zip

Phone: (


Mailing address (if different): Check here if more than 2 Defendants and attach Form SC-100A. Check here if any Defendant is on active military duty, and write his or her name here:

The Plaintiff claims the Defendant owes $
a. Why does the Defendant owe the Plaintiff money?

. (Explain below):

b. When did this happen? (Date): If no specific date, give the time period: Date started:


c. How did you calculate the money owed to you? (Do not include court costs or fees for service.) Check here if you need more space. Attach one sheet of paper or Form MC-031 and write "SC-100, Item 3" at the top.
Revised January 1, 2008

Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)

SC-100, Page 2 of 5

Case Number:

Plaintiff (list names):

You must ask the Defendant (in person, in writing, or by phone) to pay you before you sue. Have you done this? Yes No
If no, explain why not:


Why are you filing your claim at this courthouse?
This courthouse covers the area (check the one that applies): a. (1) Where the Defendant lives or does business. (4) Where a contract (written or spoken) was made, signed, performed, or broken by the Defendant or (2) Where the Plaintiff's property was damaged. where the Defendant lived or did business when (3) Where the Plaintiff was injured. the Defendant made the contract. b. Where the buyer or lessee signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, if this claim is about an offer or contract for personal, family, or household goods, services, or loans. (Code Civ. Proc., § 395(b).) Where the buyer signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, if this claim is about a retail installment contract (like a credit card). (Civil Code, § 1812.10.) Where the buyer signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, or where the vehicle is permanently garaged, if this claim is about a vehicle finance sale. (Civil Code, § 2984.4.) Other (specify):

c. d. e.
6 7 8

List the zip code of the place checked in 5 above (if you know): Is your claim about an attorney-client fee dispute? Yes No If yes, and if you have had arbitration, fill out Form SC-101, attach it to this form, and check here:
Yes No If yes, you must file a written claim with the entity first. A claim was filed on (date): If the public entity denies your claim or does not answer within the time allowed by law, you can file this form.

Are you suing a public entity?


Have you filed more than 12 other small claims within the last 12 months in California?
Yes No If yes, the filing fee for this case will be higher.


I understand that by filing a claim in small claims court, I have no right to appeal this claim. California during this calendar year. I declare, under penalty of perjury under California State law, that the information above and on any attachments to this form is true and correct. Date: Plaintiff types or prints name here Date: Second Plaintiff types or prints name here Second Plaintiff signs here Plaintiff signs here

11 I have not filed, and understand that I cannot file, more than two small claims cases for more than $2,500 in

Requests for Accommodations
Assistive listening systems, computer-assisted, real-time captioning, or sign language interpreter services are available if you ask at least 5 days before the trial. Contact the clerk's office for Form MC-410, Request for Accommodations by Persons With Disabilities and Response. (Civil Code, § 54.8.)
Revised January 1, 2008

Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)

SC-100, Page 3 of 5


Information for the Defendant (the person being sued)

Do I have options? Yes. If you are being sued, you can: · Settle your case before the trial. If you and the Plaintiff agree on how to settle the case, both of you must notify the court. Ask the Small Claims Advisor for help. · Prove this is the wrong court. Send a letter to the court before your trial, explaining why you think this is the wrong court. Ask the court to dismiss the claim. Do I need a lawyer? You must serve (give) a copy of your letter (by mail or You may talk to a lawyer before or after the case. But you in person) to all parties. (Your letter to the court must may not have a lawyer represent you in court (unless this say you have done this.) is an appeal from a small claims case). · Go to the trial and try to win your case. Bring How do I get ready for court? witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to You don't have to file any papers before your trial, unless prove your case. To make sure the witnesses go to the trial, fill out Form SC-107, and the clerk will subpoena you think this is the wrong court for your case. But bring (order) them to go. to your trial any witnesses, receipts, and evidence that · Sue the person who is suing you. File Form supports your case. And read "Get Ready for Court" at: SC-120, Defendant's Claim. There are strict filing deadlines you must follow. What if I need an accommodation? · Agree with the Plaintiff's claim and pay the If you have a disability or are hearing impaired, fill out money. Or, if you can't pay the money now, go to Form MC-410, Request for Accommodations. Give the your trial and say you want to make payments. form to your court clerk or the ADA/Access Coordinator. · Let the case "default." If you don't settle and do not What if I don't speak English well? go to the trial (default), the judge may give the Plaintiff what he or she is asking for plus court costs. If this Bring an adult who is not a witness to interpret for you, or happens, the Plaintiff can legally take your money, ask the court clerk for an interpreter at least five days before wages, and property to pay the judgment. your court date. A court-provided interpreter may not be available or there may be a fee for using a court interpreter What if I need more time? unless you qualify for a fee waiver. You may ask the court You can change the trial date if: for a list of interpreters and also the Application for Waiver · You cannot go to court on the scheduled date (you will of Court Fees and Costs (form FW-001). have to pay a fee to postpone the trial) or · You did not get served (receive this order to go to Where can I get the court forms I need? court) at least 15 days before the trial (or 20 days if you Go to any courthouse or your county law library, or print live outside the county) or forms at: · You need more time to get an interpreter. One What happens at the trial? postponement is allowed, and you will not have to pay The judge will listen to both sides. The judge may make a a fee to delay the trial. decision at your trial or mail the decision to you later. Ask the Small Claims Clerk about the rules and fees for postponing a trial. Or fill out Form SC-110 (or write a What if I lose the case? letter) and mail it to the court and to all other people listed If you lose, you can appeal. You'll have to pay a fee. on your court papers before the deadline. Enclose a check (Plaintiffs cannot appeal their own claims.) for your court fees, unless a fee waiver was granted. · If you were at the trial, file Form SC-140, Notice of Appeal. You must file within 30 days after the Need help? judge's decision. Your county's Small Claims Advisor can help for free. · If you were not at the trial, fill out and file Form SC-135, Notice of Motion to Vacate Judgment and Declaration, to ask the judge to cancel the judgment (decision). If the judge does not give you a new trial, you have 10 days to appeal the decision. File Or go to "County-Specific Court Information" at: Form SC-140. For more information on appeals, see:

"Small claims court" is a special court where claims for $5,000 or less are decided. A "natural person" (not a business or public entity) may claim up to $7,500, including a sole proprietor. The process is quick and cheap. The rules are simple and informal. You are the Defendant--the person being sued. The person who is suing you is the Plaintiff.


Revised January 1, 2008

Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)

SC-100, Page 4 of 5


Información para el demandado (la persona demandada)

¿Tengo otras opciones? La "Corte de reclamos menores" es una corte especial donde se deciden casos por $5,000 ó menos. Una "persona Sí. Si lo están demandando, puede: natural" (que no sea un negocio ni una entidad pública) · Resolver su caso antes del juicio. Si usted y el puede reclamar hasta $7,500. El proceso es rápido y barato. Demandante se ponen de acuerdo en resolver el caso, Las reglas son sencillas e informales. ambos tienen que notificar a la corte. Pídale al Asesor de Usted es el Demandado -- la persona que se está demandReclamos Menores que lo ayude. ando. La persona que lo está demandando es el Demandante. · Probar que es la corte equivocada. Envíe una carta a la ¿Necesito un abogado? corte antes del juicio explicando por qué cree que es la Puede hablar con un abogado antes o después del caso. corte equivocada. Pídale a la corte que despida el Pero no puede tener a un abogado que lo represente ante reclamo. Tiene que entregar (dar) una copia de su carta la corte (a menos que se trate de una apelación de un caso (por correo o en persona) a todas las partes. (Su carta a la de reclamos menores). corte tiene que decir que hizo la entrega.) ¿Cómo me preparo para ir a la corte? · Ir al juicio y tratar de ganar el caso. Lleve testigos, No tiene que presentar ningunos papeles antes del juicio, a recibos y cualquier prueba que necesite para probar su menos que piense que ésta es la corte equivocada para su caso. Para asegurarse que los testigos vayan al juicio, caso. Pero lleve al juicio cualquier testigos, recibos, y llene el formulario SC-107, y el secretario emitirá una cualquier pruebas que apoyan su caso. Y lea "Prepárese orden de comparecencia ordenándoles que se presenten. para la corte" en: · Demandar a la persona que lo demandó. Presente el reclamosmenores/prepararse.htm formulario SC-120, Reclamo del demandado. Hay fechas ¿Qué hago si necesito una adaptación? límite estrictas que debe seguir. Si tiene una discapacidad o tiene impedimentos de audición, llene el formulario MC-410, Request for Accomodations. Entregue el formulario al secretario de la corte o al Coordinador de Acceso/ADA de su corte. ¿Qué pasa si no hablo inglés bien? Traiga a un adulto que no sea testigo para que le sirva de intérprete. O pida al secretario de la corte que le asigne uno. Si quiere que la corte le asigne un intérprete, lo tiene que pedir como minimo menos cinco dias antes de la fecha en que tenga que ir a la corte. Es posible que no haya disponible un intérprete proporcionado por la corte o que tenga que pagar una cuota por emplear un intérprete de la corte, a menos que tenga una exención de cuotas. Puede pedir a la corte una lista de intérpretes y la Solicitud de exención de cuotas y costos de la corte (formulario FW-001). ¿Dónde puedo obtener los formularios de la corte que necesito? Vaya a cualquier edificio de la corte, la biblioteca legal de su condado o imprima los formularios en: ¿Qué pasa en el juicio? El juez escuchará a ambas partes. El juez puede tomar su decisión durante la audiencia o enviársela por correo después. ¿Qué pasa si pierdo el caso? Si pierde, puede apelar. Tendrá que pagar una cuota. (El Demandante no puede apelar su propio reclamo.) · Si estuvo presente en el juicio, llene el formulario SC-140,
Aviso de apelación. Tiene que presentarlo dentro de 30 días depués de la decisión del juez. · Si no estuvo en el juicio, llene y presente el formulario SC-135, Aviso de petición para anular el fallo y Declaración para pedirle al juez que anule el fallo (decisión). Si la corte no le otorga un nuevo juicio, tiene 10 días para apelar la decisión. Presente el formulario SC-140.

· Aceptar el reclamo del Demandante y pagar el dinero. O, si no puede pagar en ese momento, vaya al juicio y diga que quiere hacer los pagos. · No ir al juicio y aceptar el fallo por falta de comparecencia. Si no llega a un acuerdo con el Demandante y no va al juicio (fallo por falta de comparecencia), el juez le puede otorgar al Demandante lo que está reclamando más los costos de la corte. En ese caso, el Demandante legalmente puede tomar su dinero, su sueldo o sus bienes para cobrar el fallo. ¿Qué hago si necesito más tiempo? Puede cambiar la fecha del juicio si: · No puede ir a la corte en la fecha programada (tendrá que
pagar una cuota para aplazar el juicio) o

· No le entregaron los documentos legalmente (no recibió la
orden para ir a la corte) por lo menos 15 días antes del juicio (ó 20 días si vive fuera del condado) o

· Necesita más tiempo para conseguir intérprete. (Se permite un
solo aplazamiento sin tener que pagar cuota para aplazar el juicio).

Pregúntele al secretario de reclamos menores sobre las reglas y las cuotas para aplazar un juicio. O llene el formulario SC-110 (o escriba una carta) y envíelo antes del plazo a la corte y a todas las otras personas que figuran en sus papeles de la corte. Adjunte un cheque para pagar los costos de la corte, a menos que le hayan dado una exención.

¿Necesita ayuda? El Asesor de Reclamos
Menores de su condado le puede ayudar sin cargo.

Para obtener más información sobre las apelaciones, vea: apelar.htm
Revised January 1, 2008

O vea "Información por condado" en:
SC-100, Page 5 of 5

Reclamo del Demandante y ORDEN Para Ir a la Corte de Reclamos Menores
(Reclamos Menores)