STATE OF MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF ASSESSMENTS AND TAXATION PERSONAL PROPERTY DIVISION 301 West Preston Street, Room 801 Baltimore, Maryland 21201-2395 www.dat.state.md.us (410) 767-1170 · (888) 246-5941 within Maryland Type of Business ID # Prefix (D) (F)
Personal Property Return As of January 1, 200 9 Due April 15, 20 09
Filing Fee $300 -0-0$300 -0$100 $300 Type of Business ID # Prefix (W) (Z) (M) (P) (A) (E) (B) (D) Filing Fee $300 $300 $300 $300 $300 $300 $300 $300
Form 1 Page 1 of 4
Date Received by Department
Domestic Stock Corporation Foreign Stock Corporation
Domestic Limited Liability Company Foreign Limited Liability Company Domestic Limited Partnership Foreign Limited Partnership Domestic Limited Liability Partnership Foreign Limited Liability Partnership Business Trust Real Estate Investment Trust
Domestic Non-Stock Corporation (D) Foreign Non-Stock Corporation (F) Foreign Insurance Corporation (F) Foreign Interstate Corporation (F) SDAT Certified Family Farm (A,D,M,W)
Note: Use the tab key to navigate the fields in this document. In the ID number fields, enter the entire number before tabbing to the next field. This box will not print.
Type or Print Department ID Number Here
Make Address Corrections Here
Name of Business Mailing Address Check here if this is a change of address
ID # PREFIX
DEPARTMENT ID NUMBER ID# PREFIX DATE OF INCORPORATION OR FORMATION
FEDERAL EMPLOYER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
STATE OF INCORPORATION OR FORMATION
FEDERAL PRINCIPAL BUSINESS CODE
TRADING AS NAME
Check here if you use a preparer and do not want personal property forms mailed to you next year.
INCLUDE DEPARTMENT ID NUMBER ON CHECK PLEASE STAPLE CHECK HERE
SECTION I A. Is any business conducted in Maryland? ___________ Date began: ____________________________
(Yes or No)
B. Nature of business conducted in Maryland:________________________________________________ C. Does the business own, lease or use personal property located in Maryland? ______________ If No, skip SECTION II. ONLY CORPORATIONS COMPLETE ITEM D
(Yes or No)
D. Names and addresses of officers and names of directors (type or print): OFFICERS
Names President_____________________________________________ Vice-President ________________________________________ Secretary ____________________________________________ Treasurer_____________________________________________ Names ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ Addresses ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ Names ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________
BUSINESS TANGIBLE PERSONAL PROPERTY LOCATED IN MARYLAND
SECTION II EACH QUESTION MUST BE ANSWERED--SEE INSTRUCTIONS ROUND CENTS TO THE NEAREST WHOLE DOLLAR
A. IMPORTANT: Show exact location of all personal property owned and used in the State of Maryland, including county, town, and street address (PO Boxes are not acceptable). This assures proper distribution of assessments. If property is located in two or more jurisdictions, provide breakdown by locations by completing additional copies of Section II for each location. (County) Check here if this location has changed from the 2008 return.
(Address, Number and Street) (Zip Code)
Page 2 of 4
Is the property located inside the limits of an incorporated town?
(Yes or No)
Note: If all of the personal property of this business is located entirely in the following exempt counties: Frederick, Garrett, Kent, Queen Anne's, or Talbot, you may be eligible to skip the remainder of Section II. Refer to Specific Instructions, Section II, A for more information.
Furniture, fixtures, tools, machinery and equipment not used for manufacturing or research and development. State the original cost of the property by year of acquisition and category of property as described in the Depreciation Rate Chart on page 4. Include all fully depreciated property and property expensed under IRS rules. Columns B through G require an explanation of the type of property being reported. Use the lines provided below. If additional space is needed, provide a supplemental schedule. Failure to explain the type of property will result in the property being treated as Category A property (see instructions for example). Refer to the 2009 Depreciation Rate Chart on page 4 for computer equipment rates for categories B and D. ORIGINAL COST BY YEAR OF ACQUISITION
SPECIAL DEPRECIATION RATES (SEE PAGE 4)
2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 and prior
TOTAL COST COLUMNS A-G
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
DESCRIBE B through G PROPERTY HERE:
Commercial Inventory. Furnish an average of 12 monthly inventory values taken in Maryland during 2008 at cost or market value of merchandise and stock in trade. Include products manufactured by the business and held for retail sale and inventory held on consignment. (Do not include raw materials or supplies used in manufacturing.) Note: LIFO prohibited in computing inventory value.
Average Commercial Inventory $
Furnish from the latest Maryland Income Tax return: Opening Inventory - date _____________________ amount $ _________________________
Closing Inventory - date ______________________ amount $ _________________________ Note: Businesses that need a Traders License must report commercial inventory here.
Supplies. Furnish the average cost of consumable items not held for sale (e.g., contractor's supplies, office supplies, etc.).
Average Cost $
Manufacturing/Research and Development (R&D) Inventory. Furnish an average of 12 monthly inventory values taken in Maryland during 2008 at cost or market value of raw materials, supplies, goods in process and finished products used in and resulting from manufacturing/R&D by the business. (Do not include manufactured products held for retail sale.)
Average Manufacturing/R&D Inventory $
Furnish from the latest Maryland Income Tax return: Opening Inventory - date _____________________ amount $ _________________________ Closing Inventory - date ______________________ amount $ _________________________
Tools, machinery and equipment used for manufacturing or research and development: State the original cost of the property by year of acquisition. Include all fully depreciated property and property expensed under IRS rules. If this business is engaged in manufacturing / R&D, and is claiming such an exemption for the first time, a manufacturing / R&D exemption application must be submitted on or before September 1, 2009 before an exemption can be granted. Contact the Department or visit www.dat.state.md.us for an application. If the property is located in a taxable jurisdiction, a detailed schedule by depreciation category should be included to take advantage of higher depreciation allowances. ORIGINAL COST BY YEAR OF ACQUISITION 2004 2003 2002 2001 and prior 2008 2007 2006 2005
Page 3 of 4
Vehicles with Interchangeable Registration (dealer, recycler, finance company, special mobile equipment, and transporter plates) and unregistered vehicles should be reported here. See specific instructions. ORIGINAL COST BY YEAR OF ACQUISITION 2006 2005 and prior
Property owned by others and used or held by the business as lessee or otherwise . . . Total Cost File separate schedule showing names and addresses of owners, lease number, description of property, installation date and separate cost in each case.
Other personal property . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Total Cost File separate schedule giving a description of property, original cost and the date of acquisition.
(Book Value) (Market Value)
Non-farming livestock $ __________________________ $______________________________
Property owned by the business but used or held by others as lessee or otherwise. . . . Total Cost $ File separate schedule showing names and addresses of lessees, lease number, description of property, installation date and original cost by year of acquisition for each location. Schedule should group leases by county where the property is located. Manufacturer lessors should submit the retail selling price of the property not the manufacturing cost. This Section must be completed.
A. Total Gross Sales, or amount of business transacted during 2008 in Maryland: $ ________________________________________ If the business has sales in Maryland and does not report any personal property, explain how the business is conducted without personal property. If the business is using the personal property of another business, provide the name and address of that business. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ B. If the business operates on a fiscal year, state beginning and ending dates: ____________________________________________ C. If this is the business' first Maryland personal property return, state whether or not it succeeds an established business and give name: _______________________________________________________________________________________________ D. Does the business own any fully depreciated and/or expensed personal property located in Maryland? If yes, is that property reported on this return? yes no yes no
E. Does the submitted balance sheet or depreciation schedule reflect personal property located outside of Maryland? yes no If yes, reconcile it with this return. yes no If yes, complete F. Has the business disposed of assets or transferred assets in or out of Maryland during 2008? Form 4C (Disposal and Transfer Reconciliation).
· PLEASE READ "IMPORTANT REMINDERS" ON PAGE 4 BEFORE SIGNING · I declare under the penalties of perjury, pursuant to Tax-Property Article 1-201 of the Annotated Code of Maryland, that this return, including any accompanying schedules and statements, has been examined by me and to the best of my knowledge and belief is a true, correct and complete return.
NAME OF FIRM, OTHER THAN TAXPAYER, PREPARING THIS RETURN
SIGNATURE OF PREPARER
PRINT OR TYPE NAME OF CORPORATE OFFICER OR PRINCIPAL OF OTHER ENTITY TITLE
( ) _______________________________________
PREPARER'S PHONE NUMBER E-MAIL ADDRESS
X __________________________________________________ ( ) __________________________________________________
BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER E-MAIL ADDRESS SIGNATURE OF CORPORATE OFFICER OR PRINCIPAL DATE
See top of page 4 for correct mailing address
Use the address below for: · originally filed 2009 personal property returns. · originally filed prior year returns. State of Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation Personal Property Division PO Box 17052 Baltimore, Maryland 21297-1052 · Do not send Certified Mail to this PO Box. See box at right.
· The annual report filing fee is $300 for most legal entities. Be sure to enclose the correct fee with the Form 1.
· Rules for 2009 personal property extensions: Internet extension requests are due by April 15, 2009 and are free of charge. Paper extension requests are due on or before March 16, 2009 and require a $20 processing fee for each entity.
Use the address below for: · US Postal Service Certified Mail. · all overnight delivery service mail. · amended returns, correspondence, appeals, applications, etc. · late filing penalty payments. State of Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation Personal Property Division 301 W Preston St Baltimore, Maryland 21201-2395
Page 4 of 4
· Manufacturing/R&D application deadline is September 1, 2009. A manufacturing exemption cannot be granted unless a timely application is filed. Once filed, no additional applications are required in subsequent years.
· Entities requesting a revised assessment due to other missed exemptions (vehicles, software, charitable organizations, etc.) must file that request within three years of the April 15th date the return was originally due.
· Do not prepay late filing penalties or pay personal property taxes to this Department. · Business entities that require a Trader's License must report commercial inventory on line item
· This return must be accompanied by Form 4A (Balance Sheet) or latest available balance sheet, and Form 4B (Depreciation Schedule), unless the business does not own any personal property in Maryland. All information on pages 2 and 3 of this report and supporting schedules are held confidential by the Department and are not available for public inspection. Page 1 is public record (Tax-Property Article 2-212). · If you discontinued business prior to January 1, 2009, notify the Department immediately, stating to whom and the date all personal property was sold. If the business is sold on or after January 1, 2009 and before July 1, 2009, submit statement of sale, including value of personal property, date of sale, name and address of the buyer on or before October 1, 2009. · File the pre-addressed return to ensure proper posting to your account. · This return must be signed by an officer or principal of the business. · Make check for filing fee payable to Department of Assessments and Taxation. Place the Department lD number on the check. · Place the Department ID number on page 1 if the pre-addressed return is not used. DO NOT PAY PENALTIES AT TIME OF FILING RETURN · A business which files an annual return postmarked after the due date of April 15, 2009 will receive an initial penalty of 1/10 of one percent of the county assessment, plus interest at the rate of two percent of the initial penalty amount for each 30 days or part thereof that the return is late. · Businesses which fail to file this report will receive estimated assessments which will be twice the estimated value of the personal property owned. STANDARD DEPRECIATION RATE Category A: 10% per annum* All property not specifically listed below. DEPRECIATION RATE CHART FOR 2009 RETURNS Category D: 30% per annum** Data processing equipment, canned software. LATE FILING PENALTY
SPECIAL DEPRECIATION RATES (The rates below apply only to the
items specifically listed. Use Category A for other assets.)
Category B: 20% per annum* Mainframe computers originally costing $500,000 or more. Category C: 20% per annum* Autos (unlicensed), bowling alley equipment, brain scanners, carwash equipment, contractor's heavy equipment (tractors, bulldozers), fax machines, hotel, motel, hospital and nursing home furniture and fixtures (room and lobby), MRI equipment, mobile telephones, model home furnishings, music boxes, outdoor Christmas decorations, outdoor theatre equipment, photocopy equipment, radio and T.V. transmitting equipment, rental pagers, rental soda fountain equipment, self-service laundry equipment, stevedore equipment, theatre seats, trucks (unlicensed), vending machines, x-ray equipment. DATE OF ASSESSMENT NOTIFICATION
Category E: 331/3% per annum* Blinds, carpets, drapes, shades. The following applies to equipment rental companies only: rental stereo and radio equipment, rental televisions, rental video cassette recorders and rental DVDs and video tapes. Category F: 50% per annum* Pinball machines, rental tuxedos, rental uniforms, video games. Category G: 5% per annum* Boats, ships, vessels, (over 100 feet). Long-lived assets Property determined by the Department to have an expected life in excess of 10 years at the time of acquisition shall be depreciated at an annual rate as determined by the Department. * Subject to a minimum assessment of 25% of the original cost. ** Subject to a minimum assessment of 10% of the original cost.
OFFICE USE ONLY