Free Access to Board of Equalization Records (BOE-854-F) - California

File Size: 65.7 kB
Pages: 2
Date: May 24, 2006
File Format: PDF
State: California
Category: Tax Forms
Author: Customer and Taxpayer Services Division
Word Count: 464 Words, 2,777 Characters
Page Size: 396 x 612 pts

Download Access to Board of Equalization Records (BOE-854-F) ( 65.7 kB)

Preview Access to Board of Equalization Records (BOE-854-F)
Access to Board of Equalization Records
May 2006

Is the Board of Equalization required to provide records to the public?
Yes. The Public Records Act (starting with Government Code section 6250) governs public records. It requires us to make certain records available to everyone. The Information Practices Act (starting with Civil Code section 1798) governs individual taxpayers' rights to see their own records.

How can I obtain public records?
First, you may want to check our website, You may find the information you need there. You may also contact us to view or obtain copies of public records. You will need to file a request, generally in writing, that contains a specific description of those records. If your request isn't clear, our Disclosure Officer will help you make it more focused and effective.

What happens after I make the request?
Within 10 days of the date we get your request, we will let you know whether we can legally share the records you need. We will also provide the records or estimate when we can have them ready for you. If the law prohibits us from disclosing certain records, we will send you a letter explaining why. Some records are available immediately (see next section).

Can I get financial disclosure filings or taxpayer information?
Financial disclosure filings. The Statements of Economic Interests (California Form 700) for Board of Equalization Members and staff are available upon request at our Sacramento Headquarters office (450 N St.).
BOE-854-F FRONT REV. 1 (5-06)


Taxpayer records. Most individual taxpayers' records are exempt from public disclosure. However, taxpayers or their representatives may get free copies upon request.

Is there any cost for records?
We generally charge 10 cents a page for copies. However, if you request less than $10 worth of copies in a three-month period, we can waive the charge.

Where do I send my request?
Mail or fax your Public Records Act request to Disclosure Officer, MIC:82 State Board of Equalization P.O. Box 942879 Sacramento, CA 94279-0082
Fax: 916-324-5995
For copies of your own records, send a written request to the office that handles your account or to our Disclosure Officer.

How do I get more information?
If you need more information about obtaining records from us, please contact our Disclosure Officer at 916-445-2918. You may also wish to obtain a copy of our publication 58-A, How to Inspect and Correct Your Records.

Resources and assistance
Website: Information Center: 800-400-7115 (TDD/TTY: 800-735-2929) Board Members: Taxpayers' Rights Advocate: 888-324-2798

BOE-854-F BACK REV. 1 (5-06)

State Board of Equalization
OCAL 1000