Free Adult - Alaska

File Size: 18.6 kB
Pages: 2
File Format: PDF
State: Alaska
Category: Court Forms - State
Author: smiller
Word Count: 393 Words, 2,410 Characters
Page Size: Letter (8 1/2" x 11")

Download Adult ( 18.6 kB)

Preview Adult
Adult Guardianship Petition Packet
Contents of Packet PG-505 PG-100 PG-115 PG-117 Instructions Petition Notice of Guardianship Hearing Certificate of Service by Certified Mail

These instructions explain how to ask the court to appoint a guardian for an adult. They do not cover conservatorships or guardianships of minors.

September 2008 Alaska Court System

The forms in this packet are available on the court system's website:

Another helpful website is the Alaska Public Guardian's:

PG-500 (9/08) (cs)

What is a Guardian?
A guardian is a person appointed by the court to manage the affairs of another, called the "ward." A guardian has authority to make personal decisions for the ward, such as where the ward will live and under what conditions. A guardian may also manage the finances of the ward if a conservator (someone to manage the ward's money and property) has not been appointed by the court.

When Can a Guardian Be Appointed?
The court can appoint a guardian only if the court determines that a person is incapacitated and the services of a guardian are necessary (that is, alternative methods of providing services are not adequate). A person is "incapacitated" if his (or her) ability to receive and evaluate information or communicate decisions is so impaired that the person cannot take care of his or her own physical health or safety (meaning provide the healthcare, food, shelter, clothing, etc. the person needs to avoid serious physical injury or illness).

AS 13.26.116 AS 13.26.005

Who Can Be a Guardian?
Almost anyone (except a minor) willing to take on the responsibility can be appointed. The guardian can be a relative or friend, a private professional guardian, or the public guardian. The guardian cannot be someone who 1. provides substantial professional or business services to the incapacitated person, 2. is a creditor of the incapacitated person, 3. has interests that may conflict with those of the incapacitated person, or 4. works for a person who would be disqualified under (1) (3). These restrictions do not necessarily apply to the respondent's spouse, adult child, parent, brother or sister if the court determines that the potential conflict of interest is insubstantial and the appointment would clearly be in the best interests of the incapacitated person.
AS 13.26.145

PG-500 (9/08) (cs)