POSITION DESCRIPTION (Please Read Instructions on the Back)
2. REASON FOR SUBMISSION REDESCRIPTION REESTABLISHMENT NEW OTHER 3. SERVICE HDQTRS. FIELD 7. FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT EXEMPT NONEXEMPT 8. FINANCIAL STATEMENTS REQUIRED
EXECUTIVE PERSONNEL FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE EMPLOYMENT AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS
1. AGENCY POSITION NO.
4. EMPLOYING OFFICE LOCATION
5. DUTY STATION
6. OPM CERTIFICATION NO.
9. SUBJECT TO IA ACTION YES NO
EXPLANATION (Show any positions replaced)
10. POSITION STATUS COMPETITIVE EXCEPTED (Specify in Remarks) SES (Gen.)
15. CLASSIFIED/GRADED BY
11. POSITION IS: 12. SENSITIVITY
SUPERVISORY MANAGERIAL NEITHER 1 - NON-SENSITIVE 2 - NON-CRITICAL SENSITIVE 3 - CRITICAL SENSITIVE 4 - SPECIAL SENSITIVE
13. COMPETITIVE LEVEL CO
14. AGENCY USE
OFFICIAL TITLE OF POSITION
A. U.S. OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT B. DEPARTMENT, AGENCY OR ESTABLISHMENT C. SECOND LEVEL REVIEW D. FIRST LEVEL REVIEW E. RECOMMENDED BY SUPERVISOR OR INITIATING OFFICE 16. ORGANIZATIONAL TITLE OF POSITION (if different from official title) 17. NAME OF EMPLOYEE (if vacant, specify)
18. DEPARTMENT, AGENCY, OR ESTABLISHMENT
C. THIRD SUBDIVISION
A. FIRST SUBDIVISION
D. FOURTH SUBDIVISION
B. SECOND SUBDIVISION
E. FIFTH SUBDIVISION
19. EMPLOYEE REVIEW - This is an accurate description of the major duties and responsibilities of my position. 20. SUPERVISORY CERTIFICATION: I certify that this is an accurate statement of the major duties and responsibilities of this position and its organizational relationships, and that the position is necessary to carry out Government functions for which I am responsible. This certification is made
A. TYPED NAME TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR
SIGNATURE OF EMPLOYEE (optional)
with the knowledge that this information is to be used for statutory purposes relating to appointment and payment of public funds, and that false or misleading statements may constitute violations of such statutes or their implementing regulations.
B. TYPED NAME AND TITLE OF HIGHER-LEVEL SUPERVISOR OR MANAGER (optional)
21. CLASSIFICATION/JOB GRADING CERTIFICATION: I certify that this position has been classified/graded as required by Title 5, U.S. Code, in conformance with standards published by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management or, if no published standards apply directly, consistently with the most applicable published standards.
TYPED NAME AND TITLE OF OFFICIAL TAKING ACTION
22. POSITION CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS USED IN CLASSIFYING/GRADING POSITION
INFORMATION FOR EMPLOYEES: The standards, and information on their application, are available in the personnel office. The classification of the position may be reviewed and corrected by the agency or the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Information on classification/job grading appeals, and complaints on exemption from FLSA, is available from the personnel office or the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.
DATE INITIALS DATE INITIALS DATE INITIALS DATE
23. POSITION REVIEW A. EMPLOYEE (optional) B. SUPERVISOR C. CLASSIFIER 24. REMARKS
25. DESCRIPTION OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (See Attached) NSN 7540-00-634-4265 PREVIOUS EDITION USABLE 5008-106 OF 8 (REV. 1 -85) U.S. Office of Personnel Management FPM Chapter 295
Optional Form 8 (BACK) (Revised 1/85)
Instructions for Completing Optional Form 8 POSITION DESCRIPTION
In order to comply with the requirements of FPM Chapter 295, subchapter 3, and other provisions of the FPM, agencies must complete the items marked by an asterisk. Agencies may determine what other items are to be used. *1. Enter position number used by the agency for control purposes. See FPM Chapter 312, Subchapter 3. *2. Check one. "Redescription" means the duties and/or responsibilities of an existing position are being changed. "New" means the position has not previously existed. "Reestablishment" means the position previously existed, but had been cancelled. "Other" covers such things as change in title or occupational series without a change in duties or responsibilities. The "Explanation" section should be used to show the reason if "Other" is checked, as well as any position(s) replaced by position number, title, pay plan, occupational code, and grade. 3. *4. *5. 6. Check one. Enter geographical location by city and State (or if position is in a foreign country, by city and country). Enter geographical location if different from that of #4. To be completed by OPM when certifying positions. (See Item 15 for date of OPM certification.) For SES and GS-16/18 positions and equivalent, show the position number used on OPM Form 1390 (e.g., DAES0012). Check one to show whether the incumbent is exempt or non-exempt from the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. See FPM Chapter 551. Check box if statement is required. See FPM Chapter 734 for the Executive Personnel Financial Disclosure Report, SF 278. See FPM Chapter 735, Subchapter 4, for the Employment and Financial Interest Statement. Check one to show whether Identical Additional positions are permitted. See FPM Chapter 312, Subchapter 4. Agencies may show the number of such positions authorized and/or established after the "Yes" block. Check one. See FPM Chapter 212 for information on the competitive service and FPM Chapter 213 for the excepted service. For a position in the excepted service, enter authority for the exception, e.g., "Schedule A-213.3102(d)" for Attorney positions excepted under Schedule A of the Civil Service Regulations. SES (Gen) stands for a General position in the Senior Executive Service, and SES (CR) stands for a Career Reserved position. Check one. A "Supervisory" position is one that meets the requirements for a supervisory title as set forth in current OPM classification and job-grading guidance. Agencies may designate first-level supervisory positions by placing "1" or "1st" after "Supervisory." A "Managerial" position is one that meets the requirements for such a designation as set forth in current OPM classification guidance. 12. Check one to show whether the position is non-sensitive, non-critical sensitive, critical sensitive, or special sensitive for security purposes. If this is an ADP position, write the letter "C" beside the sensitivity. Enter competitive level code for use in reduction-in-force actions. See FPM Chapter 351.
14. Agencies may use this block for any additional coding requirement. *15. Enter classification/job grading action. For "Official Title of Position," see the applicable classification or job grading standard. For positions not covered by a published standard, see the General Introduction to "Position Classification Standards," Section III, for GS positions, or FPM Supplement 512-1, "Job Grading System for Trades and Labor Occupations," Part 1, Section III. For "Pay Plan" code, see FPM Supplement 292-1, "Personnel Data Standards," Book III. For "Occupational Code," see the applicable standard; or, where no standard has been published, see the "Handbook of Occupational Groups and Series of Classes" for GS positions, or FPM Supplement 512-1, Part 3, for trades and labor positions. For all positions in scientific and engineering occupations, enter the two-digit functional classification code in parentheses immediately following the occupational code, e.g., "GS-1310(14)." The codes are listed and discussed in the General Introduction to "Position Classification Standards," Section VI. 16. 17. Enter the organizational, functional, or working title if it differs from the official title. Enter the name of the incumbent. If there is no incumbent, enter "vacancy." Enter the organizational location of the position, starting with the name of the department or agency and working down from there. If the position is occupied, have the incumbent read the attached description of duties and responsibilities. The employee's signature is optional. This statement normally should be certified by the immediate supervisor of the position. At its option, an agency may also have a higher-level supervisor or manager certify the statement.
*21. This statement should be certified by the agency official who makes the classification/job grading decision. Depending on agency regulations, this official may be a personnel office representative, or a manager or supervisor delegated classification/job grading authority. 22. Enter the position classification/job grading standard(s) used and the date of issuance, e.g., "Mail and File, GS-305, May 1977." 23. Agencies are encouraged to review periodically each established position to determine whether the position is still necessary and, if so, whether the position description is adequate and classification/job grading is proper. See FPM Letter 536-1 (to be incorporated into FPM Chapter 536). This section may be used as part of the review process. The employee's initials are optional. The initials by the supervisor and classifier represent recertifications of the statements in items #20 and #21 respectively. 24. This section may be used by the agency for additional coding requirements or for any appropriate remarks. *25. Type the description on plain bond paper and attach to the form. The agency position number should be shown on the attachment. See appropriate instructions for format of the description and for any requirements for evaluation documentation, e.g., "Instructions for the Factor Evaluation System," in the General Introduction to "Position Classification Standards," Section VII.