INSTRUCTIONS FOR ORAL ARGUMENT IN THE THIRD CIRCUIT A. Registration of Counsel Prior to Oral Argument 1. Before court is in session, counsel shall register with the court crier for the designated courtroom. 2. After court is in session, counsel shall register with the Clerk's Office on the 21st Floor. B. Substitution of Counsel 1. Counsel shall give the Clerk's Office at least 24 hours notice for substitute counsel arguing before the Court. Substitute counsel must be a member of the bar of the Third Circuit and file an appearance form before arguing. 2. Emergency substitutions of counsel may be made on the morning of oral argument by advising the court crier or the Clerk's Office. Substitute counsel on an emergency basis must be a member of the Third Circuit Bar. An appearance form must be completed and submitted to the court crier or the Clerk's Office. C. Oral Argument Procedures 1. At the outset of argument, counsel shall state for the record: a. His or her name; b. The party represented; and c. The amount of rebuttal time reserved (for appellant). 2. Argument Time a. Green light (main argument) is displayed for 80% of counsel's argument time. b. Amber light (summation) is displayed for remaining 20% of counsel's argument time. c. Red light is displayed at the conclusion of allotted argument time. d. Rebuttal time is subtracted from counsel's main argument time. 3. Counsel arguing for multiple parties on each side shall *inform the Clerk's Office of the following: a. The order of argument for each counsel and party b. The division of time for each counsel and party using the division of time form.