Free Minor Name Change - Minnesota

File Size: 40.6 kB
Pages: 4
File Format: PDF
State: Minnesota
Category: Court Forms - State
Author: District Court
Word Count: 1,981 Words, 11,605 Characters
Page Size: Letter (8 1/2" x 11")

Download Minor Name Change ( 40.6 kB)

Preview Minor Name Change
These instructions are for the Minor Name Change Application. To use these instructions and forms, all persons having their name changed must be under 18 years old. See the general Name Change packet for how to apply for name change for both adults and minors in the same application. Please read this entire document before you go any further. Remember that this is only a guide and not an all-inclusive document. If you have further questions you may need to consult with an attorney. The filing fee is not refundable if you change your mind. Who may apply? To apply for a minor name change, each applicant must: have lived in the State of Minnesota for at least six months; file the Application for Minor Name Change in the county in which the minor presently lives; the APPLICANT must be at least 18 years of age (a parent, legal guardian or next of kin files on behalf of a minor); and pay the civil filing fee and certified copy fee (if you are unable to pay the filing fee you can ask court administration for forms to see if you qualify for a fee waiver, also called in forma pauperis or IFP). How do I apply? 1. Obtain the following forms: a. Application for Name Change of a Minor b. Proposed Order Granting Name Change of a Minor c. Criminal History Check Release (Minor) - Required for all minors age 10 and older 2. Complete the case caption as follows: In the Matter of the Application of: Your Name, (parent/legal guardian/next of kin) On Behalf of: Name of Minor (current name) For a Change of Name to: New Name of Minor. Complete the application and criminal history release. The forms should be typed or legibly written using black ink. Be sure the "changed to" name(s) appear exactly the way you want them changed. For the proposed order, complete the case caption and all other information up to the "IT IS ORDERED" section. Do not fill in anything below "IT IS ORDERED." Do not proceed if the application is not made in good faith or there is any intent to defraud or mislead anyone by the change of name. Indicate the names of each minor child and their dates of birth. List all legal descriptions of property in which the minor child(ren) have a claim, interest or lien on any property. You must show who has interest and the nature of the interest in the property. You may need to attach a separate piece of paper to the application with this information on it. Example of Legal Description: Lot 1, Block 4, Hamden Edition, Hennepin County, Minnesota. You can get a copy of the legal description from the Deed, Contract for Deed or Certificate of Title at the office of the County Recorder or Registrar of Titles in the county where the property is located.


4. 5. 6.

Helpful materials may be found at your public county law library. For a directory, see . For more information, contact your court administrator or call the Minnesota State Law Library at 651-296-2775.
NAM201 State ENG Rev 3/08 Page 1 of 4


The application must be made under oath and it requires you to sign in two places on the application form. Sign your name in front of a notary public or a court administrator. The application does not need to be signed by the minor. If your spouse is a co-applicant, the application should be signed by both you and your spouse. After you have completed the forms, bring or mail the completed, notarized application to the district court in your county, along with the applicable filing fee. Contact information and filing fee information can be found on the court website at under District Courts. If you have any difficulty filling out the forms, you should consult an attorney.


Hearing: 1. 2. 3. Upon filing, the Court Administrator's office will provide you with a hearing date and time. All minor(s) seeking to have their name changed must be present at the court hearing. At the hearing you must bring two adult witnesses (other than the applicant) who have known the minor for one year or longer. If both parents come to the hearing, you only need to bring one other witness. Your witnesses may be relatives. The same witnesses may testify for more than one child if there are multiple children on the application. At the hearing, the judge may ask you to prove that you have the legal right to request a name change. If you are the parent, you should bring a copy of the birth certificate. If you are the guardian, you should bring a copy of the court order appointing you guardian. If your application is approved at the time of the hearing, the judge will sign the Order Granting Name Change of a Minor. After the Order is signed, you can obtain certified copies of the Order from the Court Administrator's office for a fee of $10 each. Certified copies of this order will be needed to change your personal records. (See "Notice to Persons Who Have Had Their Name Changed.")


5. 6.

PARENTAL NOTICE OF NAME CHANGE OF A MINOR: Minnesota Statute 259.10 states that no minor child's name may be changed without both parents having notice of the pending application of change of name. The applicant must show proof that the non-applicant parent(s) has received notification of the Application for Name Change of a Minor. If the non-applicant parent is not listed on the birth certificate and there is no order assigning parenthood, bring a certified copy of the birth certificate to the court hearing to show the judge that the non-applicant parent's name does not appear on the birth certificate. If the address of the non-applicant parent is known, you will have to show proof that the non-applicant parent has received notification of the Application for Name Change of a Minor. Counties differ on the type of proof required. Contact your county court administration office and ask if they require certified mail or personal service for minor name change cases. If your county court staff informs you certified mail is required, once you have a hearing date, then send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to the parent indicating the date, time, place, and purpose of the hearing. You should bring the return receipt card to the court hearing with a copy of the letter as proof to the judge that the non-applicant parent received notice of the name change proceedings. If your county court staff informs you personal service is required, then read the Instructions for Personal Service Minor Name Change and complete the Affidavit of Personal Service. Both of these documents are available at You should bring the Affidavit of Personal Service with you to the court hearing as proof to the judge that the nonapplicant parent was personally serviced with notice of the name change proceedings.
State ENG Rev 3/08 Page 2 of 4


If you do not know the address of the non-applicant parent(s), you should bring to court a signed, notarized Affidavit in Support of Order for Publication (this affidavit and instructions are available with the Minor Name Change forms at If so ordered by a judge, you may be required to give service by alternative means or to publish a Notice of Hearing by Publication (Minor Name Change) in a designated newspaper at your own expense. It is the applicant's responsibility to arrange publication and file the Affidavit of Publication with the Court Administrator's office prior to the scheduled hearing date. See Instructions for Publishing Notice for Name Change of a Minor for more detailed information on this process.

CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK: Minn. Stat. 259.11 requires the Court to determine whether any person seeking to have their name changed has a criminal history in Minnesota or any other state. The court may conduct a search of national records through the Federal Bureau of Investigation by submitting a set of fingerprints and the required fee to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. To comply, you must complete a Criminal History Check Release form for each minor covered by the application who is age 10 or older. A criminal history check will be made on all persons listed on the application age 10 or older. If the minor has a criminal history, both the person whose name is changed and the Court shall report the change within 10 days of receiving a copy of the order by mailing a copy of the order granting the name change to: Attention: CRIS Section Bureau of Criminal Apprehension 1430 MarylandAvenueEast St. Paul, MN 55106 Note: Any information placed in name change file will be accessible to the public, unless the court determines that the name change is made in connection with participation in a victim or witness protection program. You will need to prove to the Court by clear and convincing evidence that your application for name change is not based on the intent to defraud, is made in good faith, will not cause injury to a person and will not compromise public safety. Absent this evidence, your name change will not be granted. BIRTH CERTIFICATES: If the information on a birth certificate is wrong because a mistake was made when the birth certificate was created, DO NOT file an Application for Name Change to have the birth record changed. Mistakes can be corrected through your local County Vital Statistics office or the Minnesota Department of Health. Procedures to amend the birth record can be found on the Minnesota Department of Health web site at or by calling the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-2015970. Please refer to Minnesota State Agency Rules 4601.1000 and 4601.1100 for further information. If you think there are exceptional circumstances that make changing the birth certificate necessary, you may specifically ask the judge on your Application for Name Change to order the birth certificate changed. You may use the "Other" category on the Application to explain these exceptional circumstances. You should consult an attorney for further information on when changing a birth certificate is appropriate and what information you should include in your Application for Name Change. If a judge determines a change on the birth record is warranted the judge will include that provision in the final name change order that would direct the Department of Health to amend a birth certificate. NAME CHANGE APPLICATION FOR A PERSON CONVICTED OF A FELONY CHARGE: If the minor has a felony conviction under Minnesota law or the law of another state or federal jurisdiction, the applicant shall serve notice regarding the name change application on the prosecuting authority that obtained the conviction. If the conviction is from another state or federal jurisdiction, notice must also be served on the Minnesota Attorney General at 102 State Capitol Building, St. Paul, MN 55155. The method of service is complicated. To determine the proper method of service, consult an attorney. Local practices may vary. Proof of
NAM201 State ENG Rev 3/08 Page 3 of 4

service shall be filed with the court as part of the name change request. The prosecuting authority has 30 days to object to the name change application. NOTE: If the prosecuting authority objects, the court must deny your application. You would then have the right to file a motion contesting the prosecuting authority's objection under Minn. Stat. 259.13, subd. 3. To determine how to file such a motion, contact an attorney.




Rev 3/08

Page 4 of 4